Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cats and cat taker


How many times have you said to yourself "Oh, poor cat. I wish I can take you home" or "Hey kitty kitty...come..come.." and feed it with your half-eaten meal and then you go home and have that guilt sense of 'what happens to these stray cats when nobody's feeding or taking care of them'?

The answer is: Welcome to SPCA. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. This is the place where animals find temporary refuge until someone wants to own them. Everyday they pray  that a human is kind enough to bring them home and love them unconditionally. These cats pray that they don't get sick and be put to sleep. 

It's been quite sometime that I visited SPCA. I had adopted two cats from here and I had always chose the weird one 'coz I know that people always wants the pretty ones. Yes,even in this shelter. 

Today I would like to show you one of the important people who takes care of the cats and dogs here in SPCA. Without him and their endless efforts and routined work, this place would not be possible for these animals to live in.




Before i introduce you to the 'cat-taker' (caretaker of cats), I'd like to introduce you to the 'Otai' cat of SPCA. His name is ABU and he doesn't live in the cage like the rest of them. Abu roams freely inside and outside of the compound and is very friendly with people. Most of the time he guards the other cats and say 'hi' once in a while.


This is the cat-taker (senior supervisor), Muniandy a/l Ramiah. Born and bred in Pantai Remis, Perak, Muniandy has been serving these cats and dogs for an astonishing 28 years. When asked why, he simply replied "It's a great job. I like animals. I like taking care of them. Kita sayang sama dia, mandi sama dia, bersih sama dia...binatang sayang kita balik. Lain tempat kerja, mana ada".

The dedicated cat-taker who is a father of two also said that he sees him working for many more years here, in SPCA as his work brings him much joy.


His daily tasks begins at 8.30am right up to 4.00pm. He starts his day with counting heads of workers or volunteers and then starts feeding and washing the kennel compound. They practice twice a day of washing to ensure the place is clean for the animals.


Besides washing, cleaning and feeding, Muniandy also does re-arrranging of charity items so that it is neat and properly stored. When asked why there are so many things in the office, he replied "these are the charities from the community. They donate anything that we can sell back and the money we make is put to use for maintaining SPCA". 




Up 'til now, SPCA welcomes any kind of animals that need shelter or rescued. Animals besides cats and dogs are welcomed but after they've treated, it usually goes to the zoo. If you see an animal in need of rescue, just call SPCA and they will come and help. But if you can bring them straight, why not. It's always good to have animal carrier in your boot,incase of emergency,that is.




During my visit, there were so many adorable cats and kitties waiting for adoption and they only cost from RM70-RM350. They're healthy and ready for new homes. Have a look, maybe you'll find the right one here. The SPCA told me that sometimes it's better to send in stray cats for neuter and take them home rather then leaving it in SPCA to help reduce unwanted cats and in time be put to sleep if space. health and monetary is insufficient. Look at the statistic board below on how many animals go in and out.



While talking about stray cats, Muniandy interrupted "orang nak yang cantik-cantik saja. Malam-malam orang hantar kucing luar dan tinggal saja". Hearing this just breaks my heart. I wish I lived in a landed property so I can take in as many cats as I want. It's not safe having cats in an apartment as I've experienced 2 suicidal episodes. With my current cat, Moto, I keep her close. Only 'poo-poo' time she gets to go out to the balcony.



Isn't she adorable?


 This fella stood very still as I took his portraiture


Look at that pink nose.How could you not want to 'pot-pot' the nose, Right?

 Muniandy strokes the cat for a pose


Before I left SPCA today, Muniandy made me feel that my benchmark of unconditional love for animals had hit up a notch. I admire his perseverance through the 28 years of devotion towards these animals. If there was a medal for unconditional love towards animals of the decade, this man truly deserves it all. Hats off to you, Muniandy.

I know that I do not have that much time for volunteering at SPCA, so my donation would be monetary wise. For you out there, you could make a change and lend a helping hand to our, meow-meow, woof-woof, hee-haww and many more weird -noise-making friends by donating directly to the SPCA account or simply by purchasing their products. As you can see, I've captured the latest product, the colorful umbrellas which only costs RM25 each. Pick a color and donate today. 

SPCA Account number : RHB bank 2-12273-00021583




:: SPREAD THE  LOVE ::




No comments:

Post a Comment