Sunday, April 3, 2011

A TASTE OF KELANTAN | FIRST STOP: PASAR SITI KHADIJAH

Kelantan, which translates as the "Land of Lightning" is a veritable treasure throve of delights - rustic fishing villages, verdant padi fields and languid, palm-fringed beaches.



Tucked away in the north-eastern corner of Peninsular Malaysia, the people of Kelantan have managed to keep alive age-old customs and traditions, thus earning the state a reputation as the Cradle of Malay Culture.

Introduction Kelantan, which translates as the "Land of Lightning" is a veritable treasure throve of delights - rustic fishing villages, verdant padi fields and languid, palm-fringed beaches. Tucked away in the north-eastern corner of Peninsular Malaysia, the people of Kelantan have managed to keep alive age-old customs and traditions, thus earning the state a reputation as the Cradle of Malay Culture. (Wikipedia)


Kelantan, as I've known her for years, is THE PLACE for cheap and yummiest food in Malaysia. But this trip, is not merely about food. I only want to capture what I see for that second and see if that one snap is strong enough to describe the scene.

The first visit was the famous pasar Siti Khadijah. Even thought it's no more authentic like i used to remember when i was still small, It still had that interesting side to it.


Fresh stock, anyone?

As I was walking around the market, couldn't help my eyes to look up
and saw these amazing lines of the roof.Very symetrical.

This makcik refused.yes, REFUSED her picture taken 
instead makes a statement from the news headline.

Ah...now I know what happened to those headless chicken running around...

I turned to another corner and this makcik is smoking
her 'rokok daun' while waiting for customers. 

I kept wandering about and found this. This is 'rebung' @ bamboo shoot.
Pandas eat the leaves, we eat the shoots.Shoot, are we connected?

After done circling the ground floor, I decided to go up and as I arrived,
I saw a Surau through this slanted window and couldn't miss this frame.

The alleys upstairs. Lots of goods placed on the shelves.

Abundance of things to see and shop!



Pasar Siti Khadijah is a place full of colours and choices of really cheap prices.There's still lots of pictures in my files that I'd like to share for this entry but i think i'll keep some for next. BE SURE that if you ever go to Kelantan, DO STOP BY this amazing market coz you'll never know what you're gonna find. 








1 comment:

  1. very nice photos va..rindu nak gi pasar tu..alas...and very cute and witty remarks too.

    ReplyDelete